What is Occupational Therapy?
Achieving Success In Everyday Life
Occupational Therapy is a rehabilitation field, which focuses on enabling engagement in everyday life and ones chosen activities through the use of occupation to foster health and wellbeing. Our goal is to maximize ones quality of life and independence and achieve ones chosen goals. Occupation refers to everything that people need to or want to do throughout the course of the day: this could, for example, be attending to their personal hygiene, going to school, completing housework, attending a volunteer position, participating in a leisure activity or going to work. Click here to learn more about this service.
Occupational Therapy Approach
Occupational Therapists use a systemic approach to therapy based on evidence and professional reasoning to enable clients to engage in occupations of their choice.
The process involves collaboration, assessing, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating progress in relation to the goals set by the client. The aim is to make immediate and long-term differences to ones everyday life and abilities.
Occupational therapists apply their specialized knowledge and skills to recommend a course of preventive or corrective action that will help people lead more productive and satisfying lives. They are trained to understand not only the medical and physical limitations of a disability or injury, but also the psychosocial factors that affect the functioning of the whole person – their health and their wellness
- Hospital Discharge Planning and Assessment
- Attendant Care Assessments with completion of Form 1
- In Home Safety and Accessibility Assessments
- Comprehensive Cognitive Assessments
- Senior Home Safety and Cognitive Abilities Assessment
- Ergonomic and Jobsite Assessment
- Physical / Cognitive Demands Analysis
- Assistive Device Program Assessment
- Home Modifications and Universal Design
- Activities of Daily Living re-training
- Cognitive Remediation & Compensatory Training
- Post Concussive Treatment
- Assistive technology training
- Mindfulness Based Meditation
- Restorative Yoga
- HeartMath Intervention
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Chronic Pain Management
- Progressive Goal Attainment Program
- Micro Point Stimulation
- Upper Extremity Rehabilitation
- Prescription of mobility aids
- Home Modification and Accessibility
- Return to Work Planning
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- School Reintegration
Please contact us at Pillars of Wellness to see how we can best support your OT needs and aid in your recovery. At Pillars of Wellness we can provide services in any location to reduce the access barriers to service. You can also get more detailed information on this service on our Occupational Therapy website “Desjardine Rehabilitation“.