Yoga for Seniors
At Pillars of Wellness, Burlington, Aldershot, we offer yoga senior classes for the elderly community. As we get older, muscles tend to stiffen, our joints lose their range of motion and we become more susceptible to chronic problems such as osteoporosis, arthritis and heart disease. Yoga can help slow down the effects of the ageing process by maintaining muscle softness and flexibility, keeping the mind alert and awake, encouraging relaxation and strengthening muscles and joints. Its multi-pronged approach can encourage the body, mind and spirit to remain healthy and strong while reducing the effects of many age-related issues.
If you are a senior, regular yoga practice (2-3 times/week) can play an important part in keeping you healthy, because yoga helps:
- Reduce swelling in joints
- Increase joint mobility and strength
- Improve balance and stability
- Reduce chances of having a fall
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Aid digestion and elimination
- Improve sleep
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol
- Improve blood flow
- Improve mood and well-being
- Facilitate recovery from surgery
- Aid in the grieving process With depression and anxiety
Adaptive & Chair Yoga for Seniors
In addition to the various types of yoga, adaptive practices help seniors with even very limited mobility to do yoga. Adaptive yoga practices include:
Chair yoga for seniors is a great way to modify more challenging poses.
Ideal for those who cannot stand for long periods of time, or who cannot work on a floor mat. Poses are modified with a chair for balance or performed seated. Chairs, walls, and other props are commonly used during class to provide additional support.