Neuro rehab falls under Occupational therapy and it consist of supporting and facilitating an individual to be as independent as possible in their chosen activities (occupations). This may include improving an individual’s cognitive functions such as memory, planning and organizing and/or may focus on removing physical barriers, prescribing mobility equipment and linking them to appropriate community resources. Neurological conditions can be life changing. Our OTs work hard to help their clients reach their individual goals and help them to carry out the activities that they need or want to do; promote their independence; and ultimately improve the quality of their lives.
What neurological conditions are treated?
There are many neurological conditions that are treated and may include the following as well as others not listed.
- Acquired Brain Injury (ABI)
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Post Concussive Syndrome (PCS)
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
What occupational therapy treatments are provided?
Occupational Therapist may use the following services and/or treatments;
- Hospital discharge planning as well as coordination of community services
- Home safety assessments
- Post concussive treatment program
- Collaboration with other members of the medical team (i.e. case managers, physiatrists, SLP, physiotherapists etc.) as well as family members and/or caregivers
- Seating and Mobility assessments, which may include the prescription of an appropriate mobility aide (i.e. cane, rollator, wheelchair etc.) and/or the installation of a ramp, porch lift, stair glide, grab bar etc.
- Assistive device prescription and education on task modification
- Daily living skills re-training (i.e. self care, meal preparation, banking, community mobility etc.)
- Graduated return to school/work and work hardening programs
- Pain management
- Mental Health interventions that may include: mindfulness based meditation, Progressive Goal Attainment Program, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), Heart Math intervention program.
- Comprehensive Cognitive Assessment and Rehabilitation
- BrainFx for mild to moderate brain injury
- Cogmed Program– Cogmed Working Memory Training is an evidence-based, computerized training program designed by leading neuroscientists to improve attention by effectively increasing working memory capacity over a 5 week training period (with variations to that protocol).
- Various other cognitive training programs (technology based, paper pencil tasks and functional trial and application)
- Cognitive compensatory strategies (i.e. use of technology such as tablets, cell phones and applications; to do lists; visual cues; daytimers etc.)
Neuro rehab is common and really change your life. If you wish to receive more information and/or make an appointment, please contact us at email@example.com. We are conveniently located in Burlington, Aldershot.