Musculoskeletal and Orthopedic Rehabilitation in Burlington
What is Musculoskeletal and Orthopedic Rehabilitation?
Pillars of Wellness, located in Burlington, Aldershot, specializes in using musculoskeletal care and orthopedic rehabilitation to enhance your recovery and assist you in regaining independence. This specially designed program can be utilized after an orthopedic injury or condition, severe trauma due to an accident, or surgery such as hip and knee replacements.
Benefits of Treatment with Musculoskeletal and Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Working with musculoskeletal and orthopedic rehabilitation can have a number of benefits:
- Relief from pain and general pain management
- Education on coping strategies to better heal from an injury or condition
- Improved home safety as you learn how to better protect yourself from falls and further injuries
- Increased mobility
- Better scar management
What Conditions Can Musculoskeletal and Orthopedic Rehabilitation Help Treat?
Below is a small list of what can be treated via the program (please note this is not a full list):
- Back injuries
- Sleep dysfunction
- Pressure ulcers
- Chronic pain
- Soft tissue injuries
- Hand injuries
- Repetitive strain injuries
Musculoskeletal and Orthopedic Rehabilitation at our Clinic in Burlington
At Pillars of Wellness, your injury or condition can be treated by our occupational therapist in a number of ways. They are:
- Prescribe assistive equipment
- Developing a return to activity program while gradually increasing one's tolerance for activity and developing a daily routine that may incorporate rest breaks
- Provide education on energy conservation, task modification and proper body mechanics
- Provide education on coping strategies that may include progressive muscle relaxation, visual imagery, deep breathing, and mindfulness-based meditation
- ETPS (MPS) Microcurrent Point Stimulation. The Dolphin Neurostim™ is a hybrid modality that applies low frequency, concentrated, microcurrent stimulation (at 10K ohms) utilizing a specific combination of key acupuncture, motor, and trigger points for the treatment of pain as well as the release of adhesions and scar tissue. Due to its portability and uniquely powerful ability to treat pain, the Dolphin provides a convenient and accessible approach to pain management Increased Engagement in ADLs (Activities of Daily Living)
- Provide education on personal energy conservation, strategies for sleep and proper body mechanics
- Teach alternate or modified way of performing a meaningful activity, occupation and/or task (i.e. dressing, bathing, preparing a meal etc.)
- Recommend adaptive equipment to ease the performance requirements of a task
- Endorse and promote safety using equipment and modified task performance (i.e. use of a stool to sit on while preparing a meal at a counter, utilizing a bath seat in tub or shower)
Promote Home Safety
- Compile and complete a comprehensive Home Safety Assessment and provide recommendations on how to optimize the individuals home environment to promote full participation in activities of daily life. As part of the Home Safety Assessment assistive equipment may be recommended to encourage independence and promote safety
- Education on prevention of falls
Mobility, Assessment, Treatment
- Assessment of an individual’s mobility. This includes balance, balance, their ability to transfer occupations (i.e. on/off chair or toilet or in/out of tub) and their ability to negotiate stairs
- Prescription of mobility aids as well as transfer and positioning equipment to further promote independence while improving both in-home and community safety.
- Complete funding applications for required mobility equipment through the Assistive Device Program (ADP) with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Mobility devices may include walkers, rollators, manual and power wheelchairs and scooters
- Provide education on skin protection and assess the need for an appropriate mattress and/or other surfaces (i.e. wheelchair cushions) to prevent and/or treat pressure sores and wounds
- Education on scar management
- Microcurrent Point Stimulation for scar release therapy utilizing Dolphin Neurostim™ protocols
- Implement desensitization techniques
Why Choose Pillars of Wellness?
At Pillars of Wellness, in Burlington, Ontario, we are proud to provide a truly integrated care approach that employs a variety of treatments to achieve faster recovery. Our clinic offers different services such as physiotherapy, chiropractic, naturopathy, counselling, speech therapy, yoga therapy, acupuncture, and holistic nutrition.
With multiple diverse services and specialties in one place, you’ll get the best care possible — without having to look elsewhere. Pillars of Wellness is your one-stop-health solution, located right here in Burlington.Book An Appointment