Neuro Rehabilitation in Burlington
What is Neuro Rehabilitation?
Pillars of Wellness, located in Burlington, Aldershot, specializes in the use of neuro rehabilitation (which falls under Occupational therapy) to support and facilitate an individual to be as independent as possible in their chosen activities (occupations).
This may include improving an individual’s cognitive functions such as memory, planning and organizing, and/or may focus on removing physical barriers, prescribing mobility equipment, and linking them to appropriate community resources.
Neurological conditions can be life-changing. Our occupational therapists work hard to help their clients reach their individual goals and help them to carry out the activities that they need or want to do, improve their independence, and ultimately improve the quality of their lives.
Benefits of Treatment with Neuro Rehabilitation
Neuro rehabilitation can have a number of benefits (not limited):
- Relief from pain and general pain management
- Education on coping strategies to better heal from an injury or condition
- Regain the ability to engage in everyday activities
- Make immediate and long-term differences to your daily quality of life
- Use preventive or corrective actions to lead a more satisfying life
What Conditions Can Neuro Rehabilitation Help Treat?
There are many neurological conditions that are treated. These may include the following, as well as others not listed.
- Acquired Brain Injury (ABI)
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Post-Concussive Syndrome (PCS)
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Neuro Rehabilitation at our Clinic in Burlington
At Pillars of Wellness, your injury or condition can be treated by our occupational therapist using a number of services and/or treatments. They are:
- Hospital discharge planning as well as coordination of community services
- Home safety assessments
- Post-concussive treatment program
- Collaboration with other members of the medical team (i.e. case managers, physiatrists, SLP, physiotherapists etc.) as well as family members and/or caregivers
- Seating and mobility assessments, which may include the prescription of an appropriate mobility aid (i.e. cane, rollator, wheelchair etc.) and/or the installation of a ramp, porch lift, stair glide, grab bar etc.
- Assistive device prescription and education on task modification
- Daily living skills retraining (i.e. self-care, meal preparation, banking, community mobility etc.)
- Graduated return to school/work and work hardening programs
- Pain management
- Mental health interventions that may include: mindfulness-based meditation, Progressive Goal Attainment Program, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), HeartMath Interventions Program
- Comprehensive cognitive assessment and rehabilitation
- BrainFx for mild to moderate brain injury
- Cogmed Program – Cogmed Working Memory Training is an evidence-based, computerized training program designed by leading neuroscientists to improve attention by effectively increasing working memory capacity over a five-week training period (with variations to that protocol)
- Various other cognitive training programs (technology-based, paper-pencil tasks and functional trial and application)
- Cognitive compensatory strategies (i.e. use of technology such as tablets, cell phones, and applications; to-do lists; visual cues; daytimers etc.)
Why Choose Pillars of Wellness?
At Pillars of Wellness, in Burlington, Ontario, we are proud to provide a truly integrated care approach that employs a variety of treatments to achieve faster recovery. Our clinic offers different services such as physiotherapy, chiropractic, naturopathy, counselling, speech therapy, yoga therapy, acupuncture, and holistic nutrition.
With multiple diverse services and specialties in one place, you’ll get the best care possible — without having to look elsewhere. Pillars of Wellness is your one-stop-health solution, located right here in Burlington.Book An Appointment