Parkinsons Disease – How can we help!
The mind is the central part of a human body. Even if a person is not well, it is the mind that needs to be strong for making the body strong. The nervous system is the central part of your body and if it is in a bad condition, then your whole body can suffer. If the nervous system is fine, then the body will surely function well. It is the nervous system that coordinates with the other body parts and the body functions overall. It needs to be in a good state for the proper functioning of the body. Parkinson’s disease affects the nervous system first and then they reveal their effects on the other body parts. At Pillars of Wellness, we can help you live better with this condition.
What is Parkinson’s disease?
It is a long-term degenerative nervous system disorder that affects the movement. It doesn’t reveal itself in the beginning as it just begins with a tremor in one hand. In this disease, tremor is common. The other times it causes stiffness and slows down the movement.
Initially, the face shows no expression, the arms may not move or swing while walking, the speech may become slurred. If the treatment is not done, the condition might worsen. It is a disease that cannot be cured properly, medication can help in controlling the situation to get worse.
There are some nerve cells that die with the passage of time. Dopamine is a chemical messenger in the brain is produced by the neurons that are lost due to which its symptoms surface. When the level of this chemical messenger decrease, there is an unusual process in the brain that leads to the signs of Parkinson’s disease.
Among the causes of this disease are:
Environmental: There are certain toxins in the environment that can cause several health issues. It can also cause Parkinson’s disease but it is not the case every time. The risk is there, but not too high.
Genetics: Most of the times, Parkinson’s disease is idiopathic, that means there is no known cause. Researches also reveal that family history is something that contributes a lot to a person’s health. According to researchers, specific genetic mutation contributes to Parkinson’s disease.
It was found that several changes occur in the brains of people who suffer from Parkinson’s disease. It causes the following effects:
The appearance of Lewy bodies: These are clumps of certain substances in the brain that hold an importance in the revealing of the cause of Parkinson’s disease.
Alpha-synuclein: It is a protein that is found in abundance in the brain while smaller amounts are found in the muscles, heart and other tissues. There are many substances in the Lewy bodies but this one is found in abundance. It is found in clomped forms that cannot be broken down by the cells.
As everyone has a different kind of body, the symptoms may also differ for everyone. Initially, the signs are not too obvious and people who have a lack of knowledge in this regard might ignore them. The first thing that happens is, it affects one side of the body and when it spreads it worsens that side affecting the other side as well. Studies say that individuals suffering from Parkinson’s disease will have 60-80% of dopamine-producing cells in the brain during the initial signs. Other symptoms are:
- Tremor: Trembling is one of the initial signs of Parkinson’s disease. It usually happens when a person rest, not during any task. Trembling occurs in arms, hands, or legs.
- Rigidness: Another common sign of this disease. Muscles become stiff and the movement becomes limited. It causes aching in the muscles.
- Slurred speech: Changes start appearing in the speech as the first signs of this disease. Slurring starts appearing in the speech. People hesitate while speaking or start speaking too quickly as well.
- Slow movement: It slows down the movement of a person over time. A person starts taking a long time doing anything. They start moving slower than usual.
- Postural imbalance: A person might lose balance and face falls. It happens due to impaired reflexes that result into loss of postural balance. A person may become stooped.
- Change in natural movements: Arms may not swing while walking. Natural movements are greatly affected by Parkinson’s disease. A person’s smile, blinking, and writing is greatly affected.
Other than the physical symptoms, there are some other signs as well that can be called as secondary symptoms. These are not a compulsion to appear in every individual. Only some people might go through these. They include anxiety, sweating, constipation, monotonic voice, memory loss, an excess of saliva, and skin problems.
There is no apparent cause of Parkinson’s disease yet. So, it is hard to tell how to prevent it. It is suspected that it is either transferred genetically or due to some toxins in the environment. Researchers also believe that it can be prevented through exercise. Others believe that caffeine can protect people from Parkinson’s disease. Even though it is still not proven that caffeine helps to prevent the disease. Green tea can also be helpful in this regard.
Although there is no cure for the disease, a person suffering from it can learn to cope with the situation. Initially, when it occurs, a person might not know until the situation gets a little serious. Depending upon the intensity, if it gets worse, a person can suffer anxiety and other problems. People should help and support such people spiritually and make them aware of the coming situation. The stronger the will power the more they can cope up with their disease.
See a doctor when
You should immediately consult a doctor when you see any signs of the disease. Diagnosis of a disease is utterly important. Here, at Pillars of Wellness, we have Neuro-physiotherapists who can treat you and make you feel better. We have the most professional and experienced staff for the Occupational therapy, which includes treatment of Parkinson’s disease as well. Moreover, we are easily approachable as we are located in Burlington, Aldershot.
Our Neuro-physiotherapists can help and advice you in:
- Examining patients’ functioning with respect to their cognitive behaviors and emotions
- Movement of muscles by exercise
- Improve stretching and posture of the body by stretching
- Help increase the movement through mobility equipment
- Reduction in pain and stiffness of the body
- Reduction in falling by helping you with the gait
- Reduction in anxiety
- Proper exercise classes
You can book an appointment and consult our Neuro-specialists for curing and making your condition better. You can call or reach the given address to seek help for your loved ones.