Vestibular Disorder Treatment in Burlington
What is a Vestibular Disorder?
There are lots of people who complain of vertigo, balance issues, dizziness and unsteadiness and there are many things that can cause these symptoms. In several cases, those symptoms are caused by a vestibular disorder. The vestibular system is the part of the inner ear and brain that is responsible for controlling both eye movement and balance, therefore an accident or disease affecting this system can result in a vestibular disorder.
Symptoms of Vestibular disorder can include:
- Low tolerance to crowds
- Sensitivity to light/noise
- Difficulty Reading/Concentrating
- Motion Sensitivity
- Poor Balance
- Sensation of spinning
Although causes of vestibular disorder vary they can affect people of all ages and all walks of life. Common causes include; aging, anxiety, brain injury, cardiac problems, cerebellar degeneration, infections, head trauma, disease, medications, stroke.
Vestibular rehabilitation is an effective drug-free exercise-based program involving tailored physiotherapy with specific exercises designed to increase general activity levels, decrease vertigo/dizziness symptoms, improve balance function thus improving quality of life. At Pillars of Wellness, our highly trained physiotherapist will assess the function of the eye and head movement, musculoskeletal system, balance and walking.Book An Appointment
Our Physiotherapy Treatment Plan
- Balance retraining exercises
- Education and advice for daily living (occupations) to improve function as well as confidence
- Eye and head movement exercises
- Exercises to improve balance, standing, walking
- Fall prevention/reduction education
- In-home specific individualised vestibular exercises
- Techniques to reposition crystals in the inner ear canal (BPPV treatment)
- Specific Vestibular exercise
- Supervised therapy sessions to both monitor your program and change as required in order to challenge the 3 systems (balance, vestibular, visual)
At Pillars of Wellness, you will typically experience results and changes within 6-8 weeks, or sooner, depending on your condition and diagnosis. If you were referred to us, we will gladly provide updates on your progress to your referring specialist or Physician. If you have any questions, please contact us. We are conveniently located in Burlington, Aldershot.Book An Appointment