How Speech Therapy Can Help With TBI or ABI (Traumatic/Acquired Brain Injury)?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) or acquired brain injury (ABI) is an injury to the brain caused by trauma to the head or body. Some common causes of brain injury include car accidents, falls, assaults, and sports. The impact of a brain injury can vary from person to person, but even a mild brain injury can have a serious consequence on your life. Challenges you may experience after the accident could include:
- Attention deficiency
- Memory loss
- Difficulties with reading and/or writing
- Problems with speaking or understanding
- Swallowing difficulties
- Problem solving or planning difficulties
- Problems with social skills
Kelly Wark, our speech therapist will work with you to improve these skills so that you can get back to your daily activities and what you love to do most!
Benefits of Speech Therapy For TBI and ABI (Traumatic/Acquired Brain Injury)
A Speech Therapist will always focus her/his effort on increasing your independence in everyday life.
In the early stages of your recovery, our speech therapist will focus the treatment:
- Getting general responses to sensory stimulation
- Teaching family members how to interact with the loved one
During the progress of the recovery, the treatment will focus on:
- Maintaining attention for basic activities
- Reducing confusion
- Orienting the person to the date, where he or she is, and what has happened
- Finding ways to improve memory (e.g., using a memory log)
- Learning strategies to help problem solving, reasoning, and organizational skills
- Working on social skills in small groups
- Improving self-monitoring in the hospital, home, and community
Eventually, the treatment could include:
- Going on community outings to help the person plan, organize, and carry out trips using memory logs, organizers, checklists, and other helpful aids
- Working with a vocational rehabilitation specialist to help the person get back to work or school
A personalized treatment help to improve speech, language, and swallowing skills, as needed.Book An Appointment
Why Choose Pillars of Wellness?
At Pillars of Wellness, in Burlington, Ontario, we are proud to provide a truly integrated care approach that employs a variety of treatments to achieve faster recovery. Our clinic offers different services such as chiropractic, naturopathy, counselling, speech therapy, occupational therapy, yoga therapy, acupuncture, and holistic nutrition.
With multiple diverse services and specialities in one place, you’ll get the best care possible — without having to look elsewhere. Pillars of Wellness is your one-stop-health solution, located right here in Burlington.