Our Neuro-Physiotherapist can help you!
There are uncountable health issues these days. They are a result of imbalance diet, lack of physical activity or no exercise, and an unhealthy lifestyle. All these factors drive a person’s life in danger. There are some health issues that are minimal in the beginning and can be minimized by immediate action. Other times, those same minimal issues result into bigger damages due to lack of attention and carelessness. One of the most common health issues these days is Stroke. As the flow of the blood reduces towards the brain or completely interrupted, the Stroke originates. This ultimately results in cell death. Here is all the detail you need to know about a stroke.
What is a Stroke?
It is a condition when the blood flow to a part of the brain is cut off. As our brain requires oxygen and other nutrients, so when they are blocked, it results in cell death. When this occurs, in just a little time the brain cells begin to die. This becomes a crucial condition. Immediate action can save a person’s brain cell and lead them to a normal life again. However, if there is no prompt action then it can cause brain damage or even worse than that is death.
There are types of a stroke and due to these, a person’s brain does not function in a proper way. Better medical treatment and a healthy lifestyle can lead to a normal life for a person who went through the stroke.
Types of stroke:
It is of two types.
- Ischemic stroke: According to Mayo Clinic, about 80 percent of strokes are ischemic strokes. It happens when there is a lack of blood flow to the brain. It is because of the arteries that get blocked and the blood doesn’t reach the brain properly. There are further types of Ischemic stroke:
- Thrombotic Stroke: It happens when there is a clot formed in an artery that transports blood to the brain. There can be many reasons for the clot in the arteries. It can be due to fatty deposits or the cholesterol in the arteries or other conditions can be responsible for the clotting.
- Embolic Stroke: This is slightly different from a thrombotic stroke. It also occurs due to the blood clot but in this, the blood clot is formed away from the brain, mainly in the heart. It slowly comes in between one of the arteries that flows blood to the brain.
- Hemorrhagic Stroke: This is the other type of stroke. This condition occurs due to bleeding in the brain. It happens when a blood vessel in the brain ruptures. High blood pressure can also cause a brain There are other causes as well and among them, one of the causes that are uncommon is the tangled thin-walled blood vessels. When they rupture, this condition occurs. There are further two types of hemorrhagic stroke:
- Intracerebral hemorrhage: This type of stroke occurs when there is bleeding within a brain tissue. The blood spills out and damages the surrounding brain cells. The cells that don’t get the oxygen due to the bursting of the blood vessel die as well. This is a serious condition. It can be caused due to several things like hypertension, blood thing medication, trauma or other reasons as well.
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage: It’s another serious medical condition when an artery bursts and spills on or near the area of the brain and the skull. It can be due to a severe headache, vomiting, or due to a decrease in consciousness or fever.
- Transient ischemic attack: Also known as a mini-stroke. It is a brief period of neurological dysfunction. In this period there is a reduced blood supply to the brain that usually lasts for about five minutes. It happens due to a clot in the artery that clogs the blood flow to the brain. It does not cause any permanent damage to the brain tissues. Immediate medical treatment can cure it.
If a person is going through a problem like a stroke, it can surely be detected. Following are the symptoms that can help you detect if the person has a stroke.
- A sudden headache of severe intensity. Along with the headache vomiting, dizziness or even unconsciousness can be due to a stroke.
- Slurring of the words, confusion in understanding things and trouble in speaking.
- Sudden numbness of arms, leg or face or paralysis can be due to a stroke.
- Difficulty in walking or standing.
- Blurred or blackened vision or even seeing double.
Other factor that cause a stroke:
- Men usually have a higher risk of a stroke than women. Women have strokes when they are old.
- Drug intake like cocaine.
- Extremely high blood pressure.
- The family history of stroke.
- Heavy drinking.
- Lack of physical activity or no exercise.
- High cholesterol.
- Age also contributes to the occurrence of stroke. People above 55 are more vulnerable.
How to prevent a stroke?
A person knows when they are facing a health issue. To be cautious is the first precautionary measure you need to take in order to prevent a disease. If you have gone through a problem like a stroke then you need to consult a good medical practitioner and adopt a healthy lifestyle. You can prevent a stroke by keeping in mind the following things:
- Avoid drugs
- Quit smoking
- Control your high blood pressure
- Normal weight
- Healthy diet (lesser amount of cholesterol)
- No over drinking
When to see a doctor?
You need a prompt action if you notice any of the signs of a stroke. You can ask the person to smile, move the arm up and down, or check their speech. If you notice any of the symptoms, seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
Here, on Pillars of Wellness, our utmost priority is a person’s physical and mental health. A person having symptoms of stroke can be treated by a Neuro-physiotherapist and we are proud to announce that we have a staff of experienced Neuro-physiotherapists who perform the Occupational therapy.
Our Neuro-physiotherapists help you in getting:
- Muscle strength through proper exercise
- Assistance in improving your communication
- Balance and posture is improved through mobility equipment
- Reduction in the falling and walk through training
- Home exercise for arm or leg that is affected
- Reduction in muscle stiffness
- Proper exercise, training, and consultation for your better health
You should come and see your doctor at once if you are experiencing any relevant symptoms.