Mental Health Services in Burlington
What is Mental Health?
Pillars of Wellness, located in Burlington, Aldershot, specializes in using occupational therapy to positively influence mental health and general well-being by supporting engagement in community involvement, meaningful activities, and productive roles.
These activities may include attending to one’s personal care, going to school, caring for a child, or obtaining/maintaining employment. Mental health interventions may include working on goal setting and activity planning and the development of coping strategies.
An occupational therapist’s chief concern is an individual’s ability to live a satisfying life by identifying goals that the person has for themselves and working collaboratively to achieve them. A diagnosis is not a focus — rather, occupational therapy works through meaningful activity and engagement.
At Pillars of Wellness, our team works with individuals of all ages including young children, students, parents, and older adults. We also work with clients who experience depression, anxiety, and mental illness.
No matter what challenges you face, occupational therapy can help you lead a productive and meaningful life — despite limitations.
Benefits of Treating Mental Health with Occupational Therapy
Treating your mental health with occupational therapy can have a number of benefits:
- Improved mental health and general well-being
- Greater drive to pursue meaningful activities
- Higher productivity
- Relief from symptoms of mental illness like depression, anxiety, and PTSD
- Increased emotional awareness
- Increased quality of life and return to work
What Conditions Can Occupational Therapy Help Treat?
Working with occupational therapy can treat a number of mental health conditions, such as:
- Anxiety and depression
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stress management difficulties
Occupational Therapy and Mental Health at our Clinic in Burlington
At Pillars of Wellness, occupational therapy can utilize a number of avenues to treat your mental health, such as:
- Mindfulness meditation. When we train ourselves to focus on the present moment, rather than the past or future, we can become more attuned to our habitual reactions and thought patterns. By learning how to de-center ourselves from anxious or depressive feelings and thoughts, we can prevent them from spiraling out of control. This allows us to create new, positive, and healthier ways of responding to life’s challenges.
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT). CBT is a type of psychotherapy utilized to treat mood disorders such as anxiety and depression as well as unwanted behaviour patterns. This type of therapy is problem-focused and goal-oriented, while teaching strategies and skills to cope with thoughts during upsetting situations. This type of intervention utilizes a “top down” approach that suggests changing the way one thinks can ultimately change the way they act and feel.
- Progressive goal attainment program (PGAP). This type of therapy works to reduce psychosocial barriers to your rehabilitation progress using problem solving, goal setting, structured activity scheduling, and graded activity involvement. This can increase your quality of life, promote re-integration into life-role activities, and facilitate return-to-work.
- HeartMath Interventions Program. The HeartMath interventions program highlights the critical link between the heart and both one's emotions and cognitive performance. Developed in 1992 from a research-based system of scientifically based tools, technology, and techniques, HeartMath therapy increases mental and emotional self-regulation. The system incorporates emotional restructuring and refocusing tools and techniques that are facilitated by heart-rhythm coherence monitoring and feedback technology (EmWave Pro Plus Software). Individuals learn to effectively reduce stress and anxiety, improve health, improve learning and performance — and therefore the quality of life.
- Facilitating the development of skills needed for independent living (i.e. managing home responsibilities, time management, financial management, meal preparation/shopping etc.)
- Conducting functional evaluations and ongoing monitoring for successful job placements
- Linking to community resources
- Working with clients to develop leisure or vocational interests and pursuits
- Providing training in activities of daily living (i.e. self-care)
- Consulting with educators regarding appropriate accommodations and the development of return to school program
- Consulting with employers regarding appropriate accommodations and the development of return to work programs
Other occupational therapy interventions may include the following:
Why Choose Pillars of Wellness?
At Pillars of Wellness, in Burlington, Ontario, we are proud to provide a truly integrated care approach that employs a variety of treatments to achieve faster recovery. Our clinic offers different services such as chiropractic, naturopathy, counseling, speech therapy, occupational therapy, yoga therapy, acupuncture, and holistic nutrition.
With multiple diverse services and specialities in one place, you’ll get the best care possible — without having to look elsewhere. Pillars of Wellness is your one-stop-health solution, located right here in Burlington.Book An Appointment